Coconut belongs to the Arecaceae (Palmae) family; sub-family cocoideae and has been reaped for decades and shared throughout generations. It remains a timeless addition to cuisines, health practices, medical remedies and hair regimen for naturalistas.
Coconut is easily digested, absorbed and used by the body, not to mention it is readily available, affordable and completely natural. It is an antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial and anti-carcinogenic.
But with all these great benefits of coconut oil that are common to persons who have heard about this secret miracle, there are some hidden benefits only a few have knowledge of.
- Apply to bruises, burns, cuts and scrapes to speed up the healing process by reducing swelling.
- Use it as a deodorant. Combine it with cornstarch or baking soda for more effectiveness.
- Use a cotton piece and coconut oil to remove even the toughest of makeup without the added scrubbing.
- Use as a pre-shave. This way you are able to shave without the skin irritation and you get a smooth finish.
- Use it as an alternative to heal your just tatted
- Use it as toothpaste. Mix coconut oil with baking soda to leave your breath fresh and your mouth clean.
- To treat swimmer’s ear. Mix coconut oil with garlic oil and add a few drops to the affected ear for about ten minutes two times daily to decrease or stop the discomfort.
- Ingest 3 tablespoons of coconut oil when lactating and your breast milk supply will be enriched.
- Helps treat nausea. Rub coconut oil on the inside of your wrist and forearms to calm an upset stomach.
- Stress relief. Relieve mental stress or fatigue by applying coconut oil to the head, the temple, in a circular massaging motion.
- Decreased probability of chronic and mental illnesses developing like Alzheimer’s, Dementia, Autism, Cancer, Bronchial infections, diabetes, mild depression, epilepsy, lung disease and liver disease.
- Aids in proper or consistent bowel function for the removal of waste.
- Aids in returning the balance of the gut’s bacteria and the release of gas.
- Applied externally or internally twice a day to relieve hemorrhoids.
- Menstrual relief. The intake of coconut oil decreases the occurrence of cramps or heavy blood flow.
- Decreases the discomfort of migraines.
- Reduces the occurrence of stomach ulcers.
- Rub a little of coconut oil inside the nostrils for quick relief of allergies.
- Prevents the enlargement of the prostate.
- Reduces the appearance of boils, cold sores and cysts.
- Acts as a good decongestant. Rub oil on chest and under the nose when congested from colds or allergies.
- Mix the oil with peppermint oil extract and rub over exposed skin to repel insects.
- Good alternative to bronze cleaners. Rub oil into cotton towel and wipe and polish the bronze; used for cleaning and adding richness to the colour.
- Make soaps. This manufacturing of these soaps will prove cost effective and good for the skin and overall body.
- Used to polish wood and leather.
- Reduces wrinkles, puffiness and age spots.
- Removes chewing gum from the hair. Rub the oil in the affected area and leave for 30 minutes then proceed to roll the gum out of the hair.
- Use as a coffee creamer. It is a good alternative with a healthy touch to high calorie coffee creamers.
- Relieves sore throat by coating the walls of the throat and soothes if consumed 3 times daily (1/2 teaspoon).
- Replace butter. This is also a good alternative to butter.
By Alexandra Daley